Sunday, December 7, 2008

Past a Hurdle

Well, after three weeks of writing 50-100 words in a sitting which felt like pulling teeth, I've written 2,000 words in two days. I'm not sure if this is the downward slide everyone talks about once you pass the middle of your book, but it is certainly very pleasant. I just wanted to document it here so that if/when I hit another wall, I'll be able to look at it and remember that it wasn't just the first 10,000 words that flowed easily.

So what broke the logjam? Two things.

First, admitting that if I thought a scene was boring to write, a reader would probably find it boring to read, and then getting the point across another way.

Second, resurrecting a character I perfunctorily killed for no reason earlier in the book. Turns out she had a use after all. She saved the chapter, as a matter of fact. And solved a problem I had with my outline at the same time.

I love when one minor change fixes so many problems at once.

Now excuse me, I need to go milk this opportunity for all the words I can get.

No comments: